I know the word cuncti/ae/a means "all", but then I came across the word cunctare or cunctari, alternatively, which means "to hesitate".

Do these two words share a common etymology to some extent?

• No "narrower" a view than to suggest CAP & CAPE, COP & COPE, MAT & MATE, are related: vowel sounds are meaningful. – Doctor Illa FlOra Sep 21 at 2:18

Probably not.

According to Lewis & Short, cunctus "all" is a contraction of coniunctus "bound together", from con- "together" and iungo "to bind". Iungo is from Proto-Indo-European *(H)iug- "yoke". But De Vaan does not mention this etymology; he only says cunctus may be a contraction of concitus, from con- and cieo "to move, incite". He adds that Ernout & Meillet reject this etymology. Cieo is from Proto-Indo-European *keih2- "begin to move", according to De Vaan.

Cunctor "hesitate" is from Proto-Indo-European *ḱ(e/o)nk-(eie-) "to hang, falter, hesitate", according to De Vaan and Philippa, and it is cognate with English hang.

So the two words are probably not in any way related.

I think, it's an interesting phenomenon that langages build nearly identical word-stems without any relation in their meaning. Like the word 'malum', which has (I think) at least 3 different meanings (bad, apple and mast of a boat). Is there a linguistic term for such words? – MinecraftShamrock Jul 10 '16 at 1:35
  • You could call them homonyms or false cognates? The process is convergence, as in convergent evolution. Mast is mālus, -i, so most forms are identical. – Cerberus Jul 10 '16 at 2:12
    mălus “bad” is not a homonym either of mālus f. “apple” or of mālus m. “mast”, though the three words are homographs. – fdb Jul 11 '16 at 10:17
  • @fdb: Oh, well, if you use the narrow definition, then, yes. – Cerberus Jul 11 '16 at 13:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.