This question is about translating the phrase in the title, which is problem 8 of Drill IV of Unit 1 in Hansen and Quinn’s Greek: An Intensive Course (on Attic Greek).

I understand the phrase literally reads “the soul (acc.) of Homer (gen.).” But page 29 of the text discusses three ways a noun modifier can be in “attributive position”: by being interposed between the article of the noun and the noun itself (την του ´Ομερου ψυχην); by appearing after the noun, but with a repetition of the noun’s article (την ψυχην την του ´Ομερου); or the same as the second case, but without the first instance of the noun’s article.

The phrase I am asking about has none of these forms, so — according to these rules — the genitive is not in attributive position. The text does say, “The genitive showing possession usually appears in the attributive position but may appear outside of it.”

I am left wondering, though, whether there is a notable stylistic difference when the genitive of possession is not in attributive position. Does it convey a different emphasis or tone that could be captured in English translation? Is it more colloquial, say, than the more formal attributive uses?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.