This Reddit comment points out that there is a zeugma on a genitive noun in this sentence from the conductus "Sol oritur occasus nescius"* in the Hortus Deliciarum:

Et filiæ fit pater filius

I'd never heard of such a thing: the single word filiæ modifies both the subject of the verb and the subject complement! Is this a poetic use of grammar, emphasizing what an odd thing it is for the deity to become His own son?

But then it occurred to me that you can do the same in English and the grammar doesn't seem remarkable:

And the father of the daughter becomes the son.

So, is the zeugma on a genitive extraordinary in Latin? Are there other instances of it?

Or is it not a zeugma at all? Does filiæ modify only one of the nouns, as if it were written Et pater filiæ fit filius? Even the English "zeugma" could be read that way.

*Tangentially, there's a great false relation (I think) in this performance a couple lines later, on the O in O pro populo.

• Sententia mea novacula Occami dictat genetivum a Filio referire, ut in the father becomes the son of the daughter. Mary being a daughter of God (as everyone else) became the mother of Jesus (God the Son, a different person but the same One God in mainstream Christian theology) – Rafael Jul 13 '19 at 15:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.