Does "Nucis vado" mean going nuts? I go of a nut? Some folks want to use it as a motto and I would like to make sure it is proper. If not, what would "Going Nuts" be, properly translated?

Thanks for any advice!

Literally, yes, "I go of a nut". It's basically nonsense in Latin; "go nuts" is an English idiom that means nothing in other languages.

If you want a term for going mad/crazy, the first source I think of immediately is Aeneid IV, which has some good descriptions:

ardet amans Dido traxitque per ossa furorem
Dido is burning with love, and her madness has been drawn deep into her bones

(IV.101, trans. mine)

This suggests the noun furor or the verb furere. If you want a participle, "raving" or "being insane", that would be furens; this is used in the title of a Seneca play, Herculēs Furens ("Hercules the Mad"), where he's driven into a rage by Lyssa and murders his family.

If you want a more prophetic madness, here's Lucan describing the Oracle at Delphi:

bacchatur demens aliena per antrum / colla ferens
Out of her mind, she raves through the cavern, a strange force gripping her neck

(V.169-70, trans. mine)

This suggests demens, "out of [your] mind", or bacchans, "raving, wanton". The latter evokes the Bacchants, priestesses of Bacchus who would throw themselves into ecstatic frenzies for religious reasons; the former is very literally "out of one's mind" (de + mens).

Out of the three, I think bacchans is probably closest to your intended meaning, since it brings to mind parties and revels; if someone is using it as their motto, that's probably the type of madness they have in mind. (Though the Bacchants could sometimes be just as murderous as Hercules in their frenzies: they're the ones who killed and dismembered Orpheus when he refused to sing for them.)

P.S. Bacchans is specifically a singular form: if multiple people are going mad, they're bacchantes. This holds for the other suggestions, too: just replace the final -s with -tes to make it plural.

Nucis vado is ungrammatical in Latin. There are some adverbal uses of Genitive, a typical adnominal case, but your example is not a possible case: clearly, nucis cannot express the result of a verbal change predicate like vado. There are many ways of translating to go nuts or to go crazy into Latin: e.g., by using the deadjectival verb īnsānīre (derived from the adjective insanus) or the denominal verb bacchārī (derived from the noun Bacchus). Interestingly (from a linguistic point of view), the English analytic expression to go nuts or to go crazy typically corresponds to a synthetic expression in Latin: cf. the abovementioned deadjectival and denominal verbs.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.