I can't seem to find this in any books about medieval scribal abbreviations.

Manuscript: http://bdh-rd.bne.es/viewer.vm?id=12826&page=246

page 223/1613 2 1

They can be found all throughout the manuscript. As stated in my other question, I've been making the manuscript into a font, so want to know if there's a MUFI codepoint for these three diagonal dots & what they mean.

The dots are being used in three ways; abbreviations; footnote links (as at the bottom of p242); punctuation. The triple dots in the lower example, question marks, are (N.B.) each in a group of four "What did you go out to see; A reed shaken by the wind ? But what did you go out to see ? A man in soft clothing ?" – Hugh Jul 8 at 14:13

These triple dots appear to be serving two separate purposes.

1. The passive -ur ending: In your first image, the word intended is perficientur, and the same triple dot is used on page 224 for cognoscentur.

2. An interrogative sign: The first triple dot in your first image, and the succession of triple dots in your second, all seem to indicate that the preceding is a question:

Et unde hoc michi: ut veniat mater domini mei ad me?

And your second image:

Quid existis in desertum videre? Arundinem vento agitatam? Sed quid existis videre? Hominem mollibus vestitum?

I have only limited experience with paleography, but I've not seen triple dots used in this way before.

• Is it that the question-mark dots are besides the preceding letter, and the -ur dots are above it? – Rafael Jul 9 at 1:30
    @Rafael The Q. dots are next to the letter only to make room for the Full-stop/Period placed below them. – Hugh Jul 9 at 12:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.