In a separate answer, I was trying to use ait in an English sentence:

If the Lex Julia can ait its wording…

…but I ran into a problem. Even ignoring my bastard mixture of English and Latin, "can ait" sounds deeply wrong to me, just like *potest ait; an infinitive would be better.

Ait, however, doesn't seem to have any sort of infinitive.

What should I do in cases like this, where an infinitive is grammatically needed? For example, possum negāre = "I am able to deny this"; how would I say the opposite, "I am able to affirm this", in natural-sounding Latin?

Indeed, building a "regular" infinitive (aiere?) seems unidiomatic. Why not dicere or affirmare? In this context they sound perfectly well to me. – Rafael Jul 2 '19 at 19:09
  • @Rafael Is it known which verb the Romans usually suppleted for this? If so that would make a good answer! – Draconis Jul 2 '19 at 20:48
  • The classics are not my forte, but the exact phrase dicere licet gives 12 hits, and dicere potest, 9. It is idiomatic; I'm afraid this doesn't answer the suppleting issue, though. – Rafael Jul 2 '19 at 20:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.