This is a pretty complex mishmash of Danish, latin, and greek. With help from friends I have it almost fully translated, but two latin phrases have eluded me and block a full translation.

The context is the bishop writing to the provost about a problematic priest in the provost's juridiction (dated Nov 6, 1787). He finishes the letter like so (images at the end, partial translations below):

snart er jeg færdig at sige som Paulus: ίδε, πηλίκοις γραμμασιν εγραψα τῇ εμῇ χειρί! men han skrev om vigtige Ting, og jeg som oftest, i Ligning derimod, de lana caprina. Begge vi, kjære gode Hr. Provst, maae lade os befalde διακονεῖν τραπέζαις, τόν λόγον του Θεου καταλείψαντας, istud vero profecto ȣη ἀρεστόν εςιν — sic autem infatis erat. Dog! jeg havde nær blevet mismodig, — ogsaa dette hører til εργον της διακονίας ἥμων, — og dermed trøstede, ville vi alle atter være glade og færdige til alt. Gud velsigne og bevare D.V.V., min aarvaagne og brave συνεργὸν [etc.]

With the Danish parts translated to English:

I am almost ready to say like Paulus: ίδε, πηλίκοις γραμμασιν εγραψα τῇ εμῇ χειρί! but he wrote about important things, where as I, in comparison, de lana caprina. Both of us, dear Mr. Provost, must let us command διακονεῖν τραπέζαις, τόν λόγον του Θεου καταλείψαντας, istud vero profecto ȣη ἀρεστόν εςιν — sic autem infatis erat. And yet! I almost became dispirited, — this also belongs to our εργον της διακονίας ἥμων, — and thus comforted, should we all be happy and ready for everything. God bless and keep [honorific style], my vigilant and brave συνεργὸν [etc.]

• The first greek passage is Galatians 6:11 (See with what large letters I am writing to you with my own hand) with the first word changed from 2nd person plural to singular, ie addressing the provost. I read this as the bishop's frustration.
  • de lana caprina = the goat's wool, ie. a trifle.
  • Now comes parts of Acts 6:2 with its subphrases in practically reverse order (word # from link in parantheses), and interjected latin:
    • (Both of us, dear Mr. Provost, must let us command)
    • διακονεῖν τραπέζαις (#19-20) = to attend tables
    • τόν λόγον του Θεου (#15-18) = the word of God
    • καταλείψαντας (#14) = having neglected
    • istud vero profecto = ???
    • ȣη ἀρεστόν εςιν (#10-12) = not desirable it is
    • sic autem infatis erat = ???
  • εργον της διακονίας ἥμων = the work of our ministry
  • συνεργὸν = colleague

page 1 page 2

istud vero profecto = but this in fact

sic autem in fatis est = but/now as fate would have it // but/now it was fated that // but such was my fate

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.