In Carmina 1, poem 5, Horace writes about an untrustworthy and seducing lady. He ends the poem in:

(...) Me tabula sacer
votiva paries indicat uvida
suspendisse potenti
vestimenta maris deo.

Unscrambling the word order and translating, I read this as:

Paries sacer tabula votiva indicat me suspendisse vestimenta uvida maris deo potenti.

"The holy wall indicates by votive tablet that I have hung wet clothes to the powerful god of the sea."

What does this mean? It sounds to me as if the writer made a customary sacrifice after surviving a shipwreck and surviving a shipwreck is getting away from that woman. But this is fully guesswork on my part, as I am not familiar with any relevant sacrificial traditions. It is just the only thing that came to mind that made some sense.

Is this how the message is usually read? Am I missing something or reading too much into it?

Link: Horatius, Carmina 1.

This is how it is read.

But as for the “sacrificial” tradition, it is not a sacrifice but a votive offering in a tradition still practised in many parts of the Latin-speaking world. You promise God or a saint to make an offering to get you out of a sticky spot. The offering is of apposite form and nature.

For health troubles it might be an eye or an ear or a foot or whatever, made of silver perhaps. There are, here and there, chapels full of them. With surviving a storm it may be a model (ideally, made by you) of the ship that saved you. For shipwreck, a piece of the flotsam you came ashore on. Uvid vestments would be pushing it a bit, since they would take up a lot of room and soon go mouldy.

This tradition has not really changed since the time of Horace.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.