I am looking for more or less the 'proper' (or any good approximation) way to translate a "Traveler's Writ," as in a certificate or license given to a traveler that allows him legal access to an area.

My problem is that there seems to be so many options for the concept of the 'writ' that I am not sure which way to go with this. Horrible old Goggle Translate gave me 'Charta viator est scriptor' but I feel that's terribly clunky. The era I am going for is 1500's Roman Catholic Latin.

  • 1
    Welcome to the site and thank you for a well thought and written question! Have you seen this question about visas in Latin? If it answers your question, we can mark your question as duplicate (which means making a permanent link so that people end up at the right place). If it doesn't, can you explain what's missing from your point of view?
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 17:50
  • med. L. certification-em (cited in the OED for certification) may be close enough. certificatum is not in L&S.
    – vectory
    Commented Mar 15, 2020 at 16:14

1 Answer 1


The answer to this visa question gives several options for a document like this:

  • commeatus
  • commeatus diploma
  • commeatus syngraphus
  • visa

None of these is quoted as having a relation to your preferred era. I'm not sure if any of these would be the official word, but I am pretty sure that these, especially commeatus diploma, would be understood.

As for the gibberish from Google Translate, I would translate Charta viator est scriptor as "paper traveller is writer". This makes no sense — or if it does, I have hard time imagining it could be legitimately used to mean what you are after. Google Translate is not to be trusted with Latin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.