In English, it's common for words to be clipped down to their first couple syllables: "brother" becomes "bro", "university" becomes "uni", "doctor" becomes "doc", "veteran" becomes "vet", and so on. This question mentions the similar Italian frater > fra.

Is there evidence of this happening in Latin? It seems like a very common linguistic process, and while Vergil and Cicero may not have put it down in writing, it might plausibly show up in graffiti or leave traces in Romance.

• Domnus > Dom/Don in Romance and sor(or) come to mind. I hope I can spare some time to do the research – Rafael Jun 5 '19 at 2:10
  • @Rafael That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! – Draconis Jun 5 '19 at 2:35
  • Yes, but your question was about Latin, not Romance. – fdb Jun 5 '19 at 11:44
  • @Draconis: net: "Latin Abbreviations--Part 3: Word Contractions". – tony Jun 5 '19 at 13:02
  • @fdb True, but if something happens consistently across the Romance languages, that's a good clue that it could already have been happening in Vulgar Latin. – Draconis Jun 5 '19 at 15:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.