This is a follow-up to this older question. So "imperium habere vis magnum?" given as "Would you have a great Empire?". If this is indirect speech, then He (Publilius Syrus) said that the empire (imperium--accusative) has (habere--infinitive) great power (vis magnum).

So how is the doubt, in the questioning, "would-you-have...?", expressed?

Latin has a large number of homonyms, and all the grammarians have a chapter on the subject: Donatus, Quintilian and Isidore all mention olla, an old form of illa, used by Cicero as a derogatory form for "that"

olla that; olla a cooking pot.

or this

eo there; eo I am going.

and even

Vis you wish (+infinitive); from volo, vis, vult, volumus, vultis, volunt.
Vis (nominative) force strength.

Vis habere, means "you wish to have"

And here are another twenty to watch out for:

Aggere; canes; (canam,canas,cani); decora; fide; labes; labor; latere; leges, -is; malam, -is; mane; mensis; miseris; nisi; nota; novi; rege, -es, -is, -i; rosa; sede, -es; vade, -es, is; velis; veneris, Veneris; vires; voces.

| improve this answer | |
    read "vis" as power, but, then power would have been "vim"; it is now sorted. – tony May 20 '19 at 18:40
  • And oppĭdō as the new question from Luchonacho reminds me. – Hugh May 21 '19 at 17:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.