I saw that "donec" might mean: "as long as", but it also can mean "till". In a sense those are opposing meanings. let's consider this example:

I'm happy as long as there is daylight outside
I'm happy until there is daylight outside

Should we rely only on context (which indeed should be quite obvious), or there is a grammatical issue that makes only one of the options valid each time?

Another word with a similar problem is fere, which, like English 'quite,' can mean almost but not quite, or it can mean quite sure, and no argument. – Hugh May 15 '19 at 23:42
  • @Hugh, interesting! thanks for that input. – d_e May 16 '19 at 16:45
    Funnily enough while has both these meanings in the local variety of English where I live. – Colin Fine May 16 '19 at 17:32

Donec denotes the relationship between two actions, at the same time e.g.

"donec, infecta pace, armis desilirent" giving ""while", with peace having been broken off, they came to strive with arms";

"...et non cognoscebat eam, donec peperit filium, et vocavit nomen eius Iusum." giving "...and he did not know (have carnal-knowledge of) her "until" she had given birth to a son, and the name of him she called Jesus." Hence, or otherwise: "He did not have sexual relations with her for "as-long-as" she was pregnant."

Apologies for sparsity, earlier; didn´t want to claim other´´s work as own. The Wiki entry has required some embellishment, however.

With problems like this, type in the word, nothing else, a Wiki-option will appear. If the net cannot identify the word as Latin, it´´s too similar to its English descendant, then add "Latin," followed by the word.

Can you elaborate more on this? This looks like a nice start of an answer, but it doesn't really get to explaining how the two seemingly opposite meanings arise. – Joonas Ilmavirta May 16 '19 at 16:46
  • If @tony had made any effort to understand the question itself, perhaps then they would realise that the wiktionary entry they were quoting 1) confused the two meanings this question is about 2) mistranslated the first example 3) which example is made-up nonsense that means "until, not having achieved piece, they leaped down from arms(???)". – Unbrutal_Russian Jun 16 '19 at 15:23
  • @Unbrutal_Russian: They leaped down (from their horses) with (brandishing their) weapons. Latin used fewer words than English; things often being understood, understand? By the way, "peace" (Latin: "pax") is spelt; P-E-A-C-E, understand? – tony Jun 17 '19 at 11:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.