Is the Latin word verenda a noun? If so, which lexical root does it have?

Deu.25:11:

"Si habuerint inter se jurgium viri duo, et unus contra alterum rixari coeperit, volensque uxor alterius eruere virum suum de manu fortioris, miseritque manum, et apprehenderit verenda ejus"

"When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets"

No, it is not a noun. It is a gerundive form of the verb vereri. Gerundives can function like nouns, but they will not be listed separately in dictionaries; the keyword is the underlying verb.

I suggest looking up this verb in a dictionary you like, and also looking into gerundives if you are not already familiar with them. The gerundive behaves like an adjective of the first and second declension. Therefore verenda can be feminine singular nominative or neuter plural nominative or accusative. (Not all of these are possible in the context, of course!) If you are still puzzled, I recommend asking a follow-up question.

| improve this answer | |
  • To be fair, gerundives, like other adjectives, can function like nouns, and that is the case here. – varro May 6 '19 at 20:56
  • @varro Good point! I edited my answer to reflect that. What I was trying to say is that to find the word in a dictionary, one has to look for the underlying verb. – Joonas Ilmavirta May 6 '19 at 21:06
  • How do I define the grammatical case of the word "verenda" or wherefrom should I know how to decline this word? – user4752 May 6 '19 at 21:21
  • @naloss I added a little something in my answer. Although I listed the possible forms above, I recommend looking up how gerundives behave in general. That will tell you about the possible interpretations of verenda. If you are not familiar with gerundives, I urge you to familiarize yourself with them – at least a little. – Joonas Ilmavirta May 6 '19 at 21:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy