I have encountered with apparatus fontium for example in this reference:

Gundissalinus, De divisione philosophiae, apparatus fontium ad pp. 36 –7

What is it and what is it's the literal meaning?

Apparātus is a very general-purpose word in Latin, but in classics and textual criticism, it refers to extra material that an editor has attached to a work; I'd translate it as "footnote". For example, an apparātus criticus explains how the primary sources differ for a given line.

An apparātus fontium, then, is a "footnote of sources". In other words, an editor has added a list of the sources that the original author refers to. If the author quotes Vergil, for instance, the apparātus fontium for that line will provide the book and line numbers.

| improve this answer | |
  • Your answer is quite elucidating. According to the literal meaning of apparatus and regarding your answer, providing of sources may be a more accurate translation – Ali Nikzad May 3 '19 at 19:05
  • @AliNikzad That would work too! I just try to use a noun for it, because in other phrases like apparātus criticus, "critical providing" sounds weird. "Provision", maybe, if people still used that word in its original sense? – Draconis May 3 '19 at 19:11
  • Yes, "provision" is much better. – Ali Nikzad May 3 '19 at 19:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.