Do the Latin have the cognate verb/noun for the adjectives maximus, magnus?

something resembling the following:

rex rego;
vox voco;
nox ?nego?;
lux luceo

• Just to clarify, are you looking for a verb meaning "to be great" or something along those lines? – Draconis May 1 '19 at 17:49
  • @Draconis "to be great" or "have the might" – Michael Stallone May 1 '19 at 17:53
  • I don't believe there is such a verb. But there is the noun magnitudo "magnitude, greatness". You say "the" cognate verb/noun: why? Or do you mean any cognate verb or noun? – Cerberus May 1 '19 at 18:02
  • @Cerberus The Russian language has the verb мочь (moch) "can" which cognates whith the english might and the german Macht "power". The Russian language also has the verb мочиться (mochit'sya) "to piss", where the ить (it') is a verb ending and the ся (sya) is a postfix. The latin language has the verb mingo, which also means "to urinate". – Michael Stallone May 1 '19 at 18:15

So, from what I learned in Latin III (gratas magistrae Donnettae ago), magnus was one of those adjectives with irregular comparative and superlative forms (e.g: bonus [good], melior [better], optimus [best]). In this case we have magnus (great/large) in the positive, maior (greater/larger) in the comparative, and maximus (greatest/largest) in the superlative. So maximus is the superlative of magnus.
Moreover, adjectives can be used as substantives, meaning they totally replace the noun they modify, but they are still adjectives first. Because of that, I do not believe that those words would qualify under that category of noun/verb cognate, in that those are adjectives, not nouns (unless when used in the manner aforementioned or as a proper name).

That said, however, when researching Latin-dictionary.net (my go-to source), there appear to be a couple verbs which appear to have magnus as their root:

• magnufico, magnuficare
  • magnifico, magnificare

both mean "praise, extol" and "to esteem greatly." There are also a host of other adjectives as well as nouns and adverbs that also use magnus or maximus as their root, and would, therefore, be cognates of magnus or maximus. I hope that answers your question.

| improve this answer | |

I am not aware of a Latin verb that goes together with magnus the way albeo and rubeo go with albus and ruber, respectively. The words magnus, maximus, and magis are unsurprisingly related, and the only surprising related word that comes to mind is magister. I am not sure if I understand the question correctly, but this is the closest to an answer that seems possible to me.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.