I heard this on a podcast the other day to mean that the conversation had gotten stuck. I looked it up and it seems to be a reference to the textbook Ecce Rómání, in which a cart gets stuck in a ditch for a while, apparently—given how many references there are to it online—to the amusement of decades' worth of Latin students. However, I couldn't find any references to it in any authentic Roman/Latin texts.

I'm wondering: is this an actual Latin saying/metaphor that the Romans or other Latin speakers used at any time in history? Or has it just become a thing because so many people learned Latin from Ecce Rómání?

I can't really prove a negative, but Cassell's "Latin Dictionary" has quotes and references from ancient sources for almost every entry. Neither raeda nor fossa contains a reference to this saying, despite having several other references.

I would go out on a limb and say that this was not a catch phrase for the ancients.

To support this, L&S don't mention such a phrase under either word, and searching PHI for in fossa yields nothing relevant either. – TKR Jun 19 '16 at 2:50
  • Thanks, @JoelDerfner! Also, thanks to @TKR for the additional lack of references. – coralvanda Jun 19 '16 at 7:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.